Frequently Asked Questions
When do we expect school to resume as normal?
- Every day we are reviewing the guidelines from the CDC, the Florida Department of Health, the Florida Department of Education, the federal and local government, and other appropriate agencies. Adjustments are being made as necessary. At this time, we are scheduled to remain closed until April 15th. Beyond that date our plan is to reassess and make necessary adjustments in 2 weeks increments.
- All updates will be posted on sfcakings.org
Will my child still be able to complete their required coursework for the 2019-2020 school year?
- Yes – All necessary lessons will be created by your child’s teachers and presented online.
- Teachers in grades K-4 will be utilizing Weebly.
- Teachers in grades 5-12 will be utilizing Canvas – the learning platform that was already in place.
- Assessments will be given per policy and grades will be regularly updated in FACTS. A quarter grade will be assigned for each subject and an end-of-year report card will be issued. Transcripts will be updated and finalized for all high school students. In addition, seniors will receive their standard diploma and SLA diploma if earned.
How do I communicate with my child’s teachers and other school personnel?
- Starting Monday, March 30, every teacher will have pre-determined “office hours” during which they will respond to inquiries and provide additional assistance to students in “real-time”. These hours will be clearly communicated and are designed to enhance your child’s online academic experience.
- Starting Monday, March 30, all teachers and support staff will be monitoring and responding to emails between the hours of 8:00 am and 3:00 pm Monday through Friday (excluding holidays). We are here to help you!
What about tuition?
- SFCA’s commitment to provide a quality educational program continues. Although the delivery system has changed, the college-preparatory content has not. Most of the expenses covered through tuition have not changed - curriculum and instructional materials/equipment, staff and teacher salaries, and programs offered during the first 3 quarters of the school year. Fees charged for individual field trips, activities and events cancelled during the school closure will be reimbursed (up to the full amount as the school receives refunds).
- Deferred payment options for the April tuition payment will be available in extreme cases. To request an April tuition deferment please email our Registrar, Amanda Breen at email@example.com
How do I see what my child is working on in Canvas (5th-12th Grade)?
- Parents can become an "Observer" by setting up an account and receiving a pairing code from the students' account; multiple pairing codes can be added per parent account.
- Visit swfca.instructure.com/login/canvas - Click on "Parent of Canvas User?" Follow the directions to create an account and enter the pairing code when prompted.
- Directions for Canvas Pairing Code
- If you need assistance with receiving a pairing code, please email your student's school counselor.